Welcome to the Crown Vics ETC blog!

On April 6, 2000, I purchased a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX HPP with 23,490 miles. I decided to start a little website for it featuring a running log of my experiences with the car. Vic 1.0 was retired in 2015 due to rust and electrical issues. Vic 2.0 was a 2006 P71 in Blue Pearl that belonged to my boyfriend. It was a Ford demo and never saw actual police use. It was damaged in September of 2018 with well over 186,000 miles. It was replaced by Vic 3.0 in October 2018, a 2008 P71 in Silver Birch with 120,971 miles. To read posts prior to 2010, click a link at right, or go to Crown Vics, ETC.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

UPDATE: Sealed and Delivered...

Windshields for late Vics come with the black rubber trim already attached, unlike the '88 Grand Marquis I had, which involved prying off chrome trim.

About a month ago, I noticed that the black trim on Vic's windshield was loose at the top-center.  After all these years and multiple windshields, I've never had this happen.  I've seen the trim come off the bottom of the rear windows, but not like this.  At first, I thought it would snug back down and that would be that.  But that wasn't that.  I could see that water was seeming under the trim, instead of rolling over it.  Just a little, but enough to make me worry.  I couldn't decide if I should try and fix the problem myself, or call up my glass people.  Instead I decided to wait and see if the cold weather, ice & snow caused the trim to lift more.

It did.  So did a car wash.  Water got under the trim, iced up, and lifted it off.

So I made the call, and on a windy 17ยบ day, a man from Precision Glass came out to see what could be done.  I didn't stay out there to watch, but I did periodically peek through the kitchen door to see what he was up to.  He seemed to use the same stuff that is used to do the actual window installation.  Sort of a black goo that they warm up in the van so it will flow.  It took him about 15 minutes, wasn't messy, and so far, has worked.  And it didn't cost me anything, either, which was a BIG help.

I need Vic to last as long as possible, and I didn't want water getting into the window frame and causing rust.  It has been too cold to really get a good look at the work he did, but so far, so good.

Just another chapter in the life of Vic...