Welcome to the Crown Vics ETC blog!

On April 6, 2000, I purchased a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria LX HPP with 23,490 miles. I decided to start a little website for it featuring a running log of my experiences with the car. Vic 1.0 was retired in 2015 due to rust and electrical issues. Vic 2.0 was a 2006 P71 in Blue Pearl that belonged to my boyfriend. It was a Ford demo and never saw actual police use. It was damaged in September of 2018 with well over 186,000 miles. It was replaced by Vic 3.0 in October 2018, a 2008 P71 in Silver Birch with 120,971 miles. To read posts prior to 2010, click a link at right, or go to Crown Vics, ETC.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Having the blues...

My first car was a maroon 1986 Pontiac Parisienne, a double (possibly triple) hand-me-down.  And it had the classic 80's cracked GM paint on the hood.  My father had bought some maroon colored wax for it.  It actually helped that hood quite a bit, but you had to keep up with it or the white primer would start showing up between the cracks again.

Now, silver is arguably THE best color for any car if you don't want scratches and other defects to display like a flashing neon sign.  Vic 1.0 was great that way... though other things like road tar would show up here and there.

This stuff never showed up on SILVER paint!
Vic 2.0 is dark blue.  And Todd drove it a LOT on the highway, and even off-road.  So by the time I ended up with it, the front bumper looked like someone had sandblasted it.  The hood also had some of the same wear.  So I decided to get some blue car wax... thing is, it seems no one makes any for the US market anymore!

Yup... BLUE wax!
Ebay to the rescue.  The only affordable blue wax there was a Turtle Wax product, and all the sellers seemed to be from Israel!  So I took a chance, and soon I was the proud owner of a bottle of blue wax.

I haven't done a full scale wash/clay/polish/wax with it yet, but I did do some spot testing, and used it on the front bumper, where most of the pitting is.   As the wax dries to a haze, it is indeed a blue hue.  The finished effect is subtle, but it does indeed seem to knock down the white pin-prick effect on the bumper.

Blue haze...

Before and after... not perfect, but better than with standard white/yellow wax

No comments:

Post a Comment